Homemade mustard is infinitely more delicious than store bought. The end.
- 1/3 cup mustard seeds
- 1/3 cup fruit vinegar (apple cider works great or try our fruit vinegar recipe!)
- 1/3 cup beer of choice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- big pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons chopped herbs of choice
- 2 tablespoons liquid fermentation starter (kombucha, water kefir, leftover brine from veggie ferment, etc)
- Optional flavor add-ins: chipotle pepper, garlic, curry powder, kosho, smoked paprika, or whatever your heart desires
- Mix all the ingredients together in a container (I use a mason jar) and loosely cover. Let it sit undisturbed at room temperature, fermenting for 3 days to 2 weeks (the longer, the more sour).
- Blend until mustard seeds begin to break apart and a textured paste forms. The mixture will be a little thin initially but will firm up after a few hours in the fridge. Mustard keeps for months (or probably years) stored in the fridge.