This was a fridge cleanout creation. I needed to use up a few random bits before heading off on a leaf-peeping trip to North Carolina. The prospect of those fall colors must be taking over my brain because the result is wonderfully autumnal.
For the pastry crust:
- 1 stick very cold butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups flour, plus extra for rolling out dough (whole wheat pastry is great, but whatever you have on hand will work)
- big pinch salt
- 1/4 cup ice cold water
For the filling:
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3-4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup grated hard cheese of choice (parm, cheddar, gruyere, etc)
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- big pinch salt
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped herbs of choice (sage, rosemary, parsley, etc)
- honey for drizzling
- To make pastry dough, mix flour and salt in a bowl. Add butter cubes and work in by hand. Aggressively pinch and mix with your fingers until the butter is roughly the size of peas. Try to work fast to keep everything as cold as possible.
- Pour in water, mixing by hand to create a uniform dough. Depending on the flour used, you may need a bit more water or a bit more flour to achieve the right consistency, which should be smooth, firm and fully hydrated, but not tacky. Shape dough into a thick disc.
- Allow dough to rest covered in the fridge while prepping the filling. You can also make dough in advance. It will keep in the fridge for several days.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix together all filling ingredients but the honey so the veggies are uniformly coated.
- To roll out pastry crust, generously flour work surface and dough. Use a rolling pin to flatten, working from the middle toward the edges in every direction. Flip the dough over and continuously dust with flour, so nothing sticks to the counter. (Or do like my mother and roll the dough out in between two pieces of wax paper!). The goal is a rough circle about a 1/4 inch thick. I often get very uneven jagged edges, which I just rip off and smoosh in where necessary to form a circle-ish shape.
- To assemble, place the rolled out pastry dough on a parchment or Silpat-lined baking sheet. Add filling in the middle of the circle, leaving an inch border of dough. Drizzle with honey. Fold dough border over on top of the filling.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until the crust is brown and the zucchini and apple are softened and browning at the edges.