You are either the kind of person that is willing to keep a slow cooker plugged in for weeks at a time in service of delicious garlic, or you are not. This recipe is for those in the first camp. The results are most definitely worth it. If you like caramelized onions, you will adore black garlic. It’s sweet and deep and mellow- more candy than vegetable.
- a slow cooker with a “keep warm” setting
- as many whole heads of garlic as you can get your hands on
- Place whole heads of garlic in slow cooker.
- Plug it in, place on lid, and set to “keep warm” (which should be around 135°F).
- Allow garlic to slowly transform into black gold over the course of 2-3 weeks. Open and reseal the lid every day or so to release excess moisture. The garlic is ready once the cloves are soft and black.
- Store black garlic in fridge in an airtight container. It will keep indefinitely.